A note on internal links: I have sprinkled this site generously with links to other pages, but i want to reassure my readers that they are all there either to substantiate a statement i’ve made or to provide additional information i think the user will find useful. There are no links on this site to advertising. The closest i come to that is adding a link to a restaurant’s home page when i’m doing a review, and i promise you no restaurant has ever given me a dime for linking to their page.
I started in 2015 inserting an exclamation point (!) at the end of links that provide critical information.
Here are links to some sites i like:
- Aeon. A digital magazine with superb essays and breathtaking videos.
- The Archdruid Report. A favorite blog. The decline and fall of the American Empire along with the rest of the world as its population outruns its resources.
- The Automatic Earth Great social and political commentary.
- Cryptogon News tidbits about your police state from an exile in New Zealand.
- Data Pointed Fascinating articles and “visualizations” by a polymath artist/scientist. Nothing added since fall ’14.
- Eater If you want to get all the news about the San Francisco dining scene long before i write about it, check out this site.
- David Laslie, Designer * David doesn’t run a restaurant, but his renderings are good enough to eat.
- The Downward Spiral This is a man of strong opinions who flogs both sides of the political aisle.
- Elmwood Eats * Excellent recipes and gorgeous photography.
- The Intercept. A new site as of 2014 devoted to exposing the surveillance machinations of the US government. It’s even worse than you imagined.
- JoeMyGod All the gay news, some of which is fit to post.
- More Crows Than Eagles. Breathtaking essays on the current political and social situation.
- MUS E YUM. * A San Francisco blog with great environmental and food coverage.
- Pen and Sword * (Alas, Jeff Huber died in January, 2013, just a couple of weeks after his last post. A master of invective, and i’ll miss him.)
- Some Assembly Required Pithy text and timely links to breaking news on political, social, economic, and privacy issues. Better yet, many of the links are to sources outside the mainstream media, so you get information here that you’d never hear otherwise.
- Stefan’s Gourmet Blog Great, easy-to-follow recipes for the serious amateur. I blundered onto this site while googling on babi pangang. A wonderfully eclectic collection from a gifted Amsterdam chef.
- Shawn Clover. Combine San Francisco urban exploration with fine photography and you get Shawn.
- Taking Sense Away Everything you always wanted to know about the TSA.
- Truthdig Chris Hedges monitors our slide into totalitarianism.
- Uptown Almanac Despite the name, this blog is focused on San Francisco’s Mission District. You’ll read it here first.
- What Powderfinger Said *
- Zero Hedge – The primary focus here is on financial issues, but you get fine commentary across a wide range of other areas, often material largely ignored by the mainstream media.